An Equitable Development Agenda for Pittsburgh
Raise the bar for new development
Growth must happen in a way that benefits and does not displace longtime lower-income residents and neighborhood entrepreneurs.
Make all neighborhoods healthy communities of opportunity
The region needs a comprehensive strategy to increase housing affordability and stability and to unlock opportunity in its highest poverty neighborhoods.
Expand employment and ownership opportunities
Connecting lower-wealth residents to good, family-sustaining jobs and asset-building opportunities is critical to ensuring they participate in and contribute to the region’s resurgence.
Embed racial equity throughout Pittsburgh’s institutions and businesses
To eliminate wide racial inequities and uproot bias, the region’s institutions, organizations, and businesses need to adopt racial equity-focused approaches.
Build community power, voice, and capacity
High-capacity community-rooted organizations and multiracial, multisector coalitions are essential to advancing equitable development policies and practices over the long term.
In order to tackle the five point agenda described above, we are currently working with two action teams:
- Housing Team
- Make all neighborhoods healthy communities of opportunity
- Raise the bar for new development
- Ensure access to safe, quality affordable housing for renters and owners
- Employment/Entrepreneurship team
- Expand Quality Employment And Entrepreneurship Opportunities For Low-Wealth Residents
- Embed racial equity throughout Pittsburgh’s institutions and businesses
Institutionalizing equity and empowering community voice are two things that are weaving all the way through our initiatives.